True Natural Beauty comes from within...

True Natural Beauty comes from within...
Welcome, to my natural bath / beauty and clean eating blog, where nature is our pantry....take a few quiet moments to enjoy free recipes and tutorials using natural ingredients. Have questions about recipes or where to find these ingredients? Put your question in the comment box and I will be happy to answer .............Anna

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Green Tea Soap Recipe: Hot process that looks like cold.

                                       Organic Green Tea Soap with citrus and gingko

Peppermint and Green Tea Soap
Green Tea , Honey and Lemongrass
These two soaps were made the hot process method with the exact
same recipe, the only difference being the essential oils added.
Soap on the left had peppermint e.o. the right had lemongrass.
The soap with peppermint was noticeably lighter. Both came out really smooth, look cold process.  I love to make hot process when in need of soap quickly! I also enjoy using tea. Tea has worked great for me in the hot process method as well as cold. The lemon e.o. handled the hot process really well as did the peppermint. They went to trace quickly and were done in the crockpot in 15 minuets. No kidding. Maybe less.  I brewed the tea in rain water I had frozen in cubes, rain is exceptionally soft water.
Smooth bars of hot process soap.

I recommend a supperfatting to 5-6% . I did it at 5% to make the bar harder, for some reason my tea soaps are always softer, not sure if its the tea or the essential oils.

When adding the lye to the cold tea, it immediately turned very dark.  The scent was not pleasant at first, but by the next day it was very fresh and lovely.  The bars themselves lighten
up over night.   I added honey and essential oils at trace, total of oil and water is 60 oz.

Watch, watch, watch your crock pot, this soap GOES FAST!   It's alot of fun to make.
Comment below if you would like full recipe.

Always wear protective goggles, gloves and other safety clothing when handling lye, it  is caustic and will burn you!  Always use a lye calculator found on-line if you change any ingredients in a known soap recipe, you MUST recalculate the lye amount !  Be safe, and enjoy !

Enjoy,  Anna


 Here are 2 RECIPES I used to make this soap, they both worked beautifully and made smooth bars of soap with luxurious lather. Recipe 1 is a smaller batch of soap made with easy to come by oils, Recipe 2 is a larger batch with different oils/butters.

Recipe 1
9 oz  olive oil                                         
6 oz  coconut oil
5 oz  canola oil
9 oz  lard
1.1 oz beeswax 

4.1 oz lye
11 oz  organic green tea brewed in rain water
note: my green tea had citrus and gingko in it

1 TBl of honey added at trace
Peppermint essential oil added after the cook
5 % superfatted


Recipe 2

15 oz  olive oil
13 oz  lard
9 oz  coconut oil
2 oz  shea butter
2 oz  grapeseed oil
2 oz  beeswax
1 oz  cocoa butter

5.9 oz lye
16  oz green tea brewed in rain water
6% superfatted

1 TBL honey added at trace
Lemongrass essential oil added after the cook


Here is a link to my tutorial on crock pot , hot process soap making. It is a
different recipe, but the process is the same.


15 comments:

Vals Soaps And More From Home said...

Wow! Great looking bars of soap Anna!

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Hi Anna! Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog, I'm so happy I found yours! I love making soaps in my crock pot and all kinds of other stuff too =)

You asked if you could use a Pringles can to mold round soaps, YES you can - our family never ate Pringles before I started making soap but they do now. Quart size milk and half and half containers work well too if you like small square soaps.

I noticed you are in Arizona, I'm a couple hours away from you in Parker along the Colorado River, 35 miles form Lake Havasu.

I'm off to browse your blog and enjoy.

Have a great day!

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Hi Anna, here's a link to The Bulk Herb store for Elderberries: http://www.bulkherbstore.com/Elderberries-Whole_Organic

You might have an awesome Health Food store in your area that carries them too.

Anna from Natures Home Spa said...

Jan, thanks for the link! We actually do have several great Health Food stores here, think I'll check it out so I can make this sooner.
Anna

Cajunchik said...

Hi Anna,
I love your blog and can't wait to try these soaps! Could you please list your recipe for us?
I haven't made soap yet because I have been nervous to try, but you make it sound doable for me, so I am ready to take the plunge! I will let you know how it turns out, so wish me luck!
Cyndi

Anna from Natures Home Spa said...

Hi Cyndi, thanks for the soap request, I would love to give you this recipe. Yes, making soap in your crock pot is definately doable, like you I was nervous about it, but it turned out to be a blast. There's nothing better than an awesome bar of soap you made yourself! So rewarding.

I am working on a step-by-step photo tutorial on crock pot soap right now, and will post it with recipe. This should help you get started in your new adventure of soap making! Please check back for tutorial.

Thanks Cyndi, Anna

hanna said...

Hi Anna, do you have a herbal skin care product made of something like tulsi herb? I found this tulsi tea and got curious if it has a same effect just like a green tea extract if it will be used then will make it into a soap?

Unknown said...

would love the receipe!

Anna from Natures Home Spa said...

Catherine,
So sorry for the late response, don't know how I missed your request.
Anyway, there are 2 recipes included at the bottom of the post.
If you need anything else, let me know. Glad to help.

Anna

Unknown said...

Could I sub palm oil, palm kernel flakes, shea, illipe, cocoa or kokum butter (or some combo) for the lard in this recipe?
Also, my hp always feels like crayon. Am I over cooking?
Thanks for all of you efforts.

Anna from Natures Home Spa said...

Hi Sharon,
Yes you can substitute the lard in this recipe.
I've re-formulated the recipe for you using palm oil. (superfat of 6%)

15 oz olive oil
13 oz palm oil
9 oz coconut oil
2 oz shea butter
2 oz grapeseed oil
2 oz beeswax
1 oz cocoa butter

6 oz lye
16.7 oz green tea brewed in rain water(or plain distilled water)

I'd be glad to formulate a soap recipe for you using whatever oils you have on hand,
and at the amount you need for a mold, just ask! I now use castor oil in all my soap
recipes for added bubbles, it made a real difference. If you'd like a simple 4 oil
recipe (palm, olive, coconut, castor) that is hard and bubbles nicely, let me know and
I'll email you some of my favorites.

About your HP soap feeling like crayon. Do you mean it feels waxy? It could be the recipe. Overcooking leaves the soap dry, clumpy when you put it in the mold. If you'd like, send me a picture of it, with the recipe and I'll see if I can help.

natureshomespa@gmail.com
Anna

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for responding and the recipe. Your soaps are so beautiful. I really believe I am an 'Over'-over stick blender, overcooker, over tinkerer (can tell when to stop swirling, peaking, sprinkling, the tops of my soaps).

Anna from Natures Home Spa said...

Oh my gosh Sharon, you are so funny! Yes, I believe we all can over-do our soaps! I don't know how many times I've re-done my soap top until it was too dry to do anything but give it the ole "rustic top" LOL!
Would love to see any soaps you make! Share them on my FaceBook page if you'd like!
Natures Home Spa Bath and Beauty

thanks,
Anna

Sara said...

Hello! I know this post is four years old so I don't know if you will see this comment or not, and if you don't that's ok! I'm just wondering, do you think it is the green tea that makes it come out smoothly with hot process, or any tea in general, or the oils that you made it with? I'm asking because I want to make some soap to stick in stockings this Christmas and I obviously don't have time for CP, and I really want it to turn out nice and smooth! I don't have green tea on hand, but I have some lemon ginger herbal tea. I could easily go get some green tea if you think that is the key! Thanks so much!

Anna from Natures Home Spa said...

Hi Sara,
That's a really good question, thank you for asking.

Honestly, a HP soap can come out smooth like CP with most liquids, not just the tea.

I've found that it is in not over cooking your HP soap as well as the water ratio that makes it turn out smooth like CP. I've come to prefer HP over CP now since the soaps come out smooth and fluid enough to swirl. If I can be of any help in the HP method of soap making, let me know.

I have a basic recipe that I use now that has a hardness of 45 on the soapcalc calculator, a conditioning of 51, and a bubbly of 21. These are all really great numbers and make a very well balanced bar of soap. The oils used are palm, coconut, castor and olive oil.

If you would like this free recipe and a few tips on smooth HP feel free to email me at
natureshomespa@gmail.com , I'm happy to help!

Anna

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...