We have Russian friends coming to visit for the week here in the States. We live in the hot, dry desert climates of Southwestern USA, and our friends come from a climate that is decidedly more humid. They will very much feel the difference in their skin!
- Cleanse: To cleanse your face start with a good gentle face cleanser like Milk, Honey, and lemon.
- 1 teaspoon warm honey
- 1 teaspoon milk, (or sour cream, or yogurt, or buttermilk )
- lemon juice (a few drops)
The honey cleanses and allows your skin to attract moisture, the milk soothes, nourishes and gently cleans.
Mix all ingredients well, warming the honey allows for better mixing ability, room temperature milk helps too, you don't want clumps of honey, you want this mixture smooth. Apply to your face and gently rub in, in circular upward motions, this promotes good circulation. Stay clear of your eyes! When thru, rinse in warm water, then splash with cold water or cold green tea to close your pores. Your face will feel SO soft and clean. This amount is for one use. Always make this recipe fresh.
- Exfoliating Scrub: Use a simple scrub 1 to 2 times a week to remove dead skin cells, oxidized oil, dirt and impurities that clog pores and cause blackheads. Scrubs are great for circulation, encouraging new skin cell growth. This first scrub is good for aging skin.
- Basic Sugar and Oil Scrub
- Sugar ( white or brown )
- Oil of your choice : olive, grapeseed (lighter feel on the skin), almond etc
- Simply mix and rub on your face in circular motions, rinse, pat dry. Add a little lemon juice for those humid days. Or baking soda.
- Oatmeal Scrub: 1 Tablespoon Oatmeal ( I grind mine up a bit in a coffee grinder )
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons yogurt (or sour cream, or cream)
Or you can simply use your milk and honey cleanser and add: 1 tablespoon baking soda or 1 tablespoon cornmeal. You can also just use : Baking soda and water made into a paste is an excellent scrub that you can use daily. Very inexpensive, very good.
Basically, you cannot go wrong in making your own scrub, the ingredients are natural and pure health for your skin. Mix your sugar and oil to your own desired consistency dependent on your own skin needs. Then choose an additive, or use plain. The sugar exfoliates and due to its glycolic acid it naturally stimulates the production of collogen, it also contains hydroxyl acid which is known to naturally reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Plainly put, sugar is great for your skin.
- Facial Steam: I use green tea, please see my last post for how to do this. Steam 1 - 2 times month.
- Toner: Simply apply cold green tea with a facial pad, or splash on to refresh anytime
- These are simple guidelines for you to use to start with, use as needed. Not meant to be used as a diagnosis or treatment for medical situations. If you are allergic to any ingredients, do not use.
- If you find your eyes puffier due to the humidity, a thin slice of cold cucumber placed over them for 15 minuets will make a difference.
- If you are from Russia please tell us about your climate and skin care routines and any advice you could offer would be so appreciated. Please leave a comment below, I would love to hear what you have to say. Or, if you've traveled Russia and observed your skin changes here in the States, please share your experience here under "comments". It would be greatly appreciated. I love shared knowledge! Thanks, Anna